Saturday, September 13, 2008

Remembering That Day...


It is true. There are some days in history when you clearly remember where you were when something massively significant happened. This white man clearly remembers such a day seven years ago on 11th September 2001. Being late at night, around 11-11:30PM there was little on TV but having Foxtel back then I made a habit of watching FOX and CNN morning shows from the US. In that fateful 2-3 hours I held my six month old son Kim and watched the seemingly surreal become real in front of me. Completely transfixed, I saw the two planes plunge into the World Trade Centre Towers. Flashes of news also sped back and forward from New York to the Pentagon. Another plane had crashed in a field I recalled them saying - another one was rumoured to be heading towards the White House. And all the time, amongst the disbelief, the incredulity of that was happening, the pure shock of what I was seeing I could not help but wonder what kind of world Phuong and I had brought our son into. As he lay blissfully sleeping through one of the darkest, monumental life-altering moments in modern history the globe was left stunned and wondering what the future held for everyone.

And seven years on...I still often wonder. But I do believe that God can be found in and through Ground Zero because He has always been present since Year Zero. And where there is God there is hope. It is simple, many would say foolish, but this white man believes it. And let's face it - has anyone else put up any better solution yet?

No comments: