Wednesday, June 29, 2011

An All-Encompassing Tragedy...

There are times in life when words just don't do justice to conveying the depth of feelings that arise when something so despicable, so inexplicable, just so tragic happens in our midst. Well that is the feeling I share in some way today, I suggest, with many other past friends and associates from both the St Albans Uniting Church Filipino youth group and the Vietnamese Evangelical Church Melbourne youth. Why? Because today Michael Hermogenes was sentenced to 21 years jail, with a 16 year minimum term for his attack upon a then 14 year-old fellow member of the BASIC (St Albans Uniting Church Filipino) youth group. I care not to re-visit the details of the crime Michael committed but if you need to they can be found via this link http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/06/29/3256500.htm

First let me say this - I met Michael Hermogenes on probably two occasions in my past vocation as a pastor in VECA Melbourne. The Vietnamese church youth there have a close association with the Filipino BASIC youth due to the personal relationship of two of their respective leaders. And when I say met him I mean just that - just an introductory moment plus a little bit of small-talk. I would not say that I knew Michael in any way more than that and as such, I clarify my opinions to reflect this level of contact. Therefore when I first learned of the horrific incident that occurred and understood the extent of violence that Michael perpetrated I was shocked and deeply concerned for the effect his actions would have particularly on both youth groups. In no way would I dare suggest that my proximity and relationship to the devastation of what happened would even go close to comparing with the trauma that many others much, much closer to those affected have endured.

So I guess I formulate these thoughts and emotions now from an even greater vantage point having left the fold of VECA. So with some distance now present, I make these observations with regard to the sentencing handed down today. If I didn't ever know Michael Hermogenes, the church and youth group he belonged to then I would most certainly say that I feel the custodial sentence he received today is, as they say in sentencing jargon, 'manifestly inadequate'. That I did know him and the youth group he belonged to actually doesn't change my opinion that much. In some ways I wish it did and I have that 'pesky' reminder of grace and mercy tapping away at my heart even now as I write this. But really, what that individual did to another young human being was truly evil. He must pay a price and endure a consequence that is proportionate to the violent injustice he committed - I'm not sure the sentence today reflects the weight of suffering he's left behind. Not just the suffering in the act itself but the on-going pain and 'sentence' of his victim. I completely understand and have to concur with the outpouring of comment from the community also feeling that a 16 year minimum sentence is grossly unjust.

And I also add this - a response to the media portrayal of this case thus far. Personally I find it completely pathetic and distasteful that this kind of reporting has accompanied this tragic crime..."church leader rapist jailed...", "self-confessed sex demon jailed...", "Melbourne youth church leader jailed..." I say it is regrettable, not because it emphasises that Michael had an involvement in church because that part is true, he was involved in the youth group and church. But because I believe it is an unnecessary over-sensationalising of one aspect of his life that ideally shouldn't add any extraordinary dimension to what he did. However I do concede that, as reported in court, Michael did reportedly confess his belief to a psychologist that he was a "sex demon" and added that "I was in a possessed and drunken state" when committing his crime. The veracity of that statement no-one will ever be able to validate and justifiably it cannot be seen as any excuse or alibi for what Michael did. Nevertheless, how cheap our media outlets have become that they choose to label this man as "the church youth leader rapist". Another shameless attempt at a convenient jab to the vulnerable ribs of church I believe. Because surreptitiously they are trying to highlight the apparent hypocrisy of how a church youth leader could perpetrate such an act which leads people, more often than not, questioning not only the person per se but the institution of church as well. Michael Hermogenes has rightfully taken his stand in the box of the accused - the church wasn't on trial with him. It's about time the collective media revised their boring and exceedingly monotonous agenda of trying to prosecute the church for the wrong-doings of it's attendees. It's a simplistic and nonsensical argument when you follow it through to it's core.





As the title suggests, this whole episode is an all-encompassing tragedy. And as I said at the beginning, even that description seems trite and doesn't convey the full blackness of how many people are feeling today. My prayers continue for all involved, especially the victim; may God bless her and continue to heal her. But prayers also for families affected, including Michael's and importantly for Michael himself.

1 comment:

Live with Passion. said...

Exactly, Colin.
I was shocked by these titles that I had to google to find out which church that 'demon' goes to.

And reading this, I am very sad to find out that an active life at church does not make any difference for this man.

Following religion doesn't necessarily mean that we are closer to God, if we don't seek Him personally.