Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Large-Scale & Personal...

This white man was listening to 3AW talkback radio this morning and was saddened to hear a comment made by some prominent somebody who's name escapes me but the comment went something like this..."the Saturday bushfire tragedy is so large-scale now that many, many Victorians would personally know someone who has been affected by the enormity of this natural disaster." The reason I was saddened to hear this is because it's true.

On Monday morning I listened to an interview with a Kinglake resident who had survived the fires with his life but lost his house and possessions. His story was no different than many that have broken the collective hearts of Victorians in the past few days but one thing was distinctive about this survivor - I know him and know him well. Jeff was a work colleague of mine when I was leading a homeless outreach support program at The Open Door, under the management of The Salvation Army. He wasn't just a work colleague - Jeff and I were a two-person team...we WERE the outreach program. Our mandate was simple - place homeless men, currently in crisis accommodation into transitional accommodation and then into long-term accommodation. In short, we housed the homeless. Remarkably Jeff also studied at Whitley Baptist Theological College for a time and, as young men we shared much in common. After 12 months as a team Jeff moved on to lead a new post-release program, finding accommodation and providing support for newly released prisoners. Shortly thereafter, I moved on into my current vocation as a pastor.

And yet, as I listened intently to the strained emotion of Jeff's voice over the radio, I couldn't help realising the irony that was present. Here was a guy with a good caring heart, a heart for the disadvantaged, now finding himself in exactly the same position as many of those I know he helped and supported - homeless and needing assistance to get back on his feet. And I bet there are no shortage of Salvos up there at the Whittlesea Community Centre helping Jeff through this devastating time. Jeff will make it through I'm sure and perhaps he'll realise the irony sometime soon if he hasn't already. It's funny how life can turn around and ironically, yet tragically place your "shoe on the other foot..."

Thinking of you Jeffery and continuing to pray for all affected by this worst natural disaster in Australia' recorded history.

No comments: