Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Slipperiness of Faith...

In many ways this white man believes that the faith we have and the way it expresses itself in life is somewhat like trying to balance that little bubble between the two marks on a spirit-level tool; like the one to the right if you're unsure what I'm talking about...

It is amazing how life tilts the balance one way, then the other and back again. And this continues on and on the longer our faith journey goes. For me, it is a shifting from one side of theological liberalism to the other of conservatism. Almost a bi-polar kind of Christianity if you will; a faith that for some time will embrace the 'safety' of good old Bible-based fundamental faith but then will see the need to escape over to a more unbridled and liberated faith that jumps headfirst onto what is a leftist theological fun-ride. It's not a shifting in and out of faith but stays within faith; just a positioning and re-positioning, and then a re re-positioning again of that always moving bubble. Perhaps the bubble never settles perfectly between the two lines whilst I breathe God's air on this planet. Maybe only after I've taken my last breath will I undisputably know my faith, my God in a perfectly balanced way and see that bubble stay there in one place between the lines, never to slide again.

And so, in the meantime this white man will continue to glide back and forth across the black lines of faith polarity. He'll find places of alignment with other journeyers, yet also have endless arguments with other like-shifting faith travellers as to what position is really best in their humble opinion. I guess that's why they always call having faith in God a journey in every sense.

No comments: