Wednesday, October 15, 2008

BodyPump!

Over the course of this year this white man has prided himself on largely sticking with a steady routine of gym torture three days-per-week. Torturous, yes; but also predictable and comfortable (if that is possible for gym torture!). Within those sessions, I have adhered to a tried and tested workout that has served me well in achieving my weight loss and muscle strength goals. And then, over this past weekend one of my closest young friends from church invited me to attend her bodypump class on Monday night at her gym. A seemingly innocuous invitation to pander along with some light exercise at the command of some hyped up chick playing techno music I thought. I was right about the instructor and the music. Unfortunately innocuous and light it was not! In short, bodypump turned this white man into a bodychump! And so I'm still dragging myself today with lactic-infected legs and learning a valuable lesson - don't go to the gym and do a workout on the same morning as a bodypump class and hence, that a sudden change in routine is better approached conservatively! Moreover, I have a new-found respect for all those leotard-clad waifs who slavishly devote themselves to bodypump and other such exercise classes. As for a possible return to bodypump for this white man...I'd do it again but I'd have my own mp3 in my ears - that techno music is abhorrent!
Thanks for the experience Linda!

No comments: