Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Dream Ends & My Freedom Awaits...

Tonight this white man just witnessed the end of the tennis resurrection of Jelena Dokic. The fairy-tale return was thwarted by Russian world number 3 Dinara Safina in a closely fought match. But as happens so many times in the world of sport, the real story is not confined to the arena but centres more meaningfully on the locker room of life. And whilst tonight Dokic walks away a loser on-court, I believe she walks away head held high as a winner in life. All credit to her for winning back the respect and hearts of Australia in what was a truly a memorable week in her life.


Today also saw this white man begin to catch a glimpse of something he hasn't seen for a while, his life! A trip to my two boys primary school today to pick up their bookpacks and some school uniform items induced a stirring my heart. A teacher asked Kim and Luc if they were looking forward to returning to school next week. They replied the right way, saying they were really looking forward to their new year levels. Not half as much as their Dad is! And so in six days I re-claim my life and can return to normality. Gym workouts, church flexibility and so on. Don't get me wrong - time with one's children is precious and can never be taken for granted. I love being a house-dad during the boys holidays and I'm blessed to be able to manouever my work and life demands around them. But six weeks is really just about enough; for them and for me! So roll on next week and bench press, get ready!

No comments: